The Next Generation of VR Custom Jewelry Design
For hundreds of generations the creation of custom jewelry never changed. Sketch, carve, cast or fabricate, jewelers created jewelry in the late 20th century essentially the same way it was created in the time of Cleopatra. With the advent of computer aided design in the 1990’s a tsunami of change began sweeping our industry. Lasers, computer aided milling machines and 3D printers specifically designed for our industry quickly followed. In the decades before, complex and highly detailed jewelry designs could take months, even years to complete. Consider just the labor factor for that sort of project! Suddenly we were able to provide old world craftsmanship and beauty in a fraction of the time needed and at an affordable price—all without sacrificing creativity. In fact, all this amazing technology has allowed us to go where we’ve never gone before.
But the final chapter in our industry’s immersion into the modern world is yet to come: Virtual reality a.k.a. VR. It’s those funny looking goggle headsets you use to play virtual golf, tennis or war games. Currently we can provide our clients with a color rendition of their design. But it’s a static, one dimensional image blown up to show detail. It is still very difficult for most of our customers to visualize the piece on their hand, neck or ears.
Often we will mill or print the wax model to provide perspective. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to try the full color design on virtually?
Already companies like Tag Heuer are actively involved in creating consumer experiences. Designer Wendy Brandes and manufacturer Richline are experimenting with VR though a partnership with an all new virtual reality social platform (Think diving into a visual and audio immersive Facebook)*.
What VR also provides is data. Once developed, it will allow us to measure subconscious reactions affecting things like heart rate and blood pressure. We will be able to offer options and measure preferences and directions we should take objectively. Plus it will offer an incredible experience—a real WOW! VR specifically designed for the jewelry industry isn’t here yet but my guess is that in less than 5 years it will be. Medlars will be one of the first to employ it.
* Source: Rapaport Vol 40 No. 3 March, 2017 page 32.
IDEAS FOR CUSTOMIZING YOUR ENGAGEMENT RING OR BANDS
If you're newly engaged, congratulations and best wishes! Many brides are presented a solitaire diamond in a classic Tiffany style setting. This allows the bride the opportunity to show off her beautiful diamond, let the world know she’s found the perfect mate, and enjoy the luxury of time as she creates a custom design that perfectly reflects her unique personality.
Medlars offers many options to customize your ring. But first, it helps if you establish a general direction first.
Make the custom design experience both memorable and exciting:
- Research the styles you like and don’t like, save it on your digital device, tear it out of a magazine or print it. Bring those pictures with you when you're shopping.
- Try on several styles. Often a design looks fantastic on a bride and she hadn’t considered it until it was on her finger.
- See how different yellow, white or rose gold looks against your skin.
- Pick other stones to complement your center stone.
- Consider adding family gems to the design
- Think about the inscription you’d like engraved into the ring.
Bands are awesome and can be customized as well:
- Dress it up with diamonds or other gems.
- Add texture or images with our laser engraver.
- Introduce a design element that appears both in the engagement ring, wedding band and grooms band.
With a couple of hours of preliminary research, you’ll be comfortable and ready to bring these most important rings from imagination to reality. At Medlars, we do what other jewelers can’t.
Click HERE to view up daily metals price indications for the most popular gold and silver coins.
Medlars Guarantees Our Work
At Medlars, we ensure enduring quality and satisfaction.
We guarantee ALL of our work and materials to be free of defect for a period of two years from the date of purchase. We will replace or repair as necessary any defect at our cost. This includes all parts and labor. Our guarantee does not cover damage caused by abuse or accidents.
We guarantee the silver, gold, or platinum purity of our jewelry, our custom design, and our restoration work. We further guarantee our stated weight and quality of the stones we supply.
Added Value Guarantee
Every finished ring (not just a simple solitaire but EVERY ring) purchased at Medlars includes Free Sizing, Free Appraisal for insurance purposes, plus Free lifetime cleaning, maintenance inspections, and polishing. At Medlars your purchase is the beginning of a lifetime of our personal attention and care.
Return and Exchange Policy
- If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your jewelry purchase, you may return it within 30 days of the purchase date for a full refund or exchange (not just a store credit) .
- Custom designed jewelry is not returnable.
- You may trade in your undamaged diamond, purchased from Medlars, for any diamond at least twice the trade-in value of your diamond. The trade-in value is your full original purchase price excluding sales tax and any labor. Colored gems are not eligible for trade in.
Price Protection Guarantee
If within 90 days of your purchase, you find a diamond with the same specifications, graded by the same gemological laboratory, at a lower price in the United States, Medlars will match it and give you 10% of the difference.
Here's how it works:
- Bring in the actual diamond with certification and sales receipt.
- A competitor’s diamond certification must be from the same laboratory . The competing diamond must have the following matching characteristics:
- Shape, weight, color, clarity, diameter, cut grade and fluorescence (if any).
- Sales taxes are not included in the cost comparison.
Have a question? Send it to us and we may address it in future newsletters.
If our newsletter, blog or social posts spark your interest, we’d love to hear from you. We may feature your feedback in our next newsletter!
For the latest happenings, LIKE us on Facebook and FOLLOW us on Instagram
We appreciate your loyal readership. Please feel free to share our eNewsletter with a friend, and check out past issues at MedlarsJewelry.com/Newsletter